*I’ve revised the prompt – you don’t have to stick to the six automatic-qualifying conferences. You can be the AD of any school in the FBS.
I’m going to start a new Friday segment called “What Would You Do?” Each week I’ll present a different question and solicit your response. This is your chance to be a part of the BusinessofCollegeSports.com!
Bill Hancock, the BCS’ top executive, recently said at a seminar, “Our business is so many people’s hobby.” Thank goodness that’s true, because it’s what keeps this website going. So, let’s play a little Fantasy College Athletic Director today.
What would you do if you were the Athletic Director of a FBS school? I hear you all complain about everything from why players aren’t paid to department’s who need student fees to balance the budget to why academics aren’t put first.
If you were an Athletic Director, what would you do first? Pay cuts for all coaches? Meet with your university’s President and urge him to join Shurtleff’s forthcoming suit against the BCS? Implement new academic eligibility rules for your athletes?
I once asked on Twitter how fans would make changes and got this response, which I think is pretty typical, from @Randletr: “oh no! You’ve got me all wrong–I just want to complain, I don’t actually want to work for a solution. #brutalhonestyTuesday”
So many of the issues you all perceive as problems seem to be too far down their respective paths to turn the train around. How do you stop escalating coaching salaries? I discussed this before, and I’ve also shown you the effect a coach like Gus Malzahn can have on a program. Can you really just scale back salaries?
What about the Great Facilities Race? I showed you yesterday how much Michigan is spending on facilities alone. Would you do only necessary repairs on your facilities and quit trying to keep up with the Joneses?
Let me know what you would do if you were Athletic Director!
P.S. You do not have to stick to the questions I asked – they’re only food for thought.
- Going Inside the College Football Playoff Selection Committee Process - December 21, 2016
- Why I’m Impressed After Touring The Athletics Facilities At The University Of Arkansas - December 21, 2016
- Scott Stricklin’s Career Path is a Great Case Study for Aspiring Athletic Directors - September 27, 2016
- Memphis Being Cut From Consideration Signals Big 12 Expansion May Not Happen - September 9, 2016
- College Football Playoff’s Bill Hancock Plays an Integral Role at Olympic Games - August 8, 2016
- Listen: Kristi Joins ‘The Brett Kane Show with Bock’ to Talk Big 12 Expansion - August 4, 2016
- Listen: Kristi Joins Tide 102.9 to Discuss Big 12 Expansion - August 3, 2016
- Listen: Kristi Joins ‘The Bill King Show’ to Talk Big 12 Expansion - August 2, 2016
- Listen: Kristi Joins ‘We’ve Never Been Clicked’ to Talk Biz of College Sports - August 2, 2016
- This Week in College Sports Biz: Campaigning for Big 12, Michigan’s Nike Era Begins and More - July 31, 2016