After writing on how media market size will keep Boise State out of an automatic-qualifying conference, I decided to take a look at the new Pac-12 Network that will be available in August 2012.
Most you have probably heard the basic details at this point: there will be a nationwide network and six regional networks: Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Mountain, Northern California, and Southern California.
Obviously, the nationwide network gets you the entire country. What I want to focus on are the regional networks, which will presumably feature region-specific programming. The Pac-12 will get to broadcast region-specific material to a whopping thirteen of the nation’s top 100 media markets. On cable! The national network will be available on basic cable (!) in the regions with Pac-12 schools and regional networks will be available on expanded basic cable through partnerships with Comcast, Bright House Networks, Time Warner and Cox Communications. Commissioner Larry Scott says he also hopes to see additional distribution through the satellite television providers.
Exact details haven’t been provided in terms of coverage, but assuming each state is covered in its entirety here are the thirteen top 100 media markets the Pac-12 will have access to with its regional networks:
Los Angeles (2)
San Francisco (6)
San Diego (28)
Salt Lake City (32)
Colorado Springs (92)
Do you think the Pac-12 could have convinced cable companies to have a regional network in the 120th media market (Boise)? Each regional network the Pac-12 announced has at least one city in the top 25.
- College Football Playoff’s Bill Hancock Plays an Integral Role at Olympic Games - August 8, 2016
- Listen: Kristi Joins ‘The Brett Kane Show with Bock’ to Talk Big 12 Expansion - August 4, 2016
- Listen: Kristi Joins Tide 102.9 to Discuss Big 12 Expansion - August 3, 2016
- Listen: Kristi Joins ‘The Bill King Show’ to Talk Big 12 Expansion - August 2, 2016
- Listen: Kristi Joins ‘We’ve Never Been Clicked’ to Talk Biz of College Sports - August 2, 2016
- This Week in College Sports Biz: Campaigning for Big 12, Michigan’s Nike Era Begins and More - July 31, 2016
- This Week in College Sports Biz: ACC Network Announced, Big 12 Expansion Talk Renewed and More - July 24, 2016
- 1:1 Coaching at NACDA Convention - May 16, 2016
- Last Week in College Sports Biz: Big 12 Expansion, C-USA and Pac-12 Television Woes And More - May 16, 2016
- NACDA Young Professionals Cover Letter/Resume/Mock Interview Workshop - April 27, 2016