You never know who you’re going to get matched with on Tinder…but you probably weren’t expecting Oregon’s mascot.
I’m a couple of weeks late on this, but I loved it too much to let it pass without comment.
The winner got a date with the mascot at a women’s volleyball game, which included courtside tickets for her and three of her friends.
Oregon’s assistant director of athletics communications Joe Waltasti said he thought it would take some time to catch on once he created the Tinder account, but instead the Duck had his first response within just a couple of minutes. In fact, the first dozen or so women the Duck swiped right to communicate with swiped right in return and opened dialogue with the Duck.
Waltasti says several of the female students sent clever one-liners. The winner said something along the lines of, “You’ve been waddling through my mind all day.” She and three of her friends sat courtside at a volleyball game and were greeted by the Duck, who came bearing a rose for the winner.
One outlet chastised Oregon for resorting to “cheesy” marketing. But guess what? That outlet is in AUSTRALIA. In my book, if you’ve got an Australian outlet writing about anything related to your college football program, it was a success.
Waltasti agrees the promotion was a success, and Oregon will be doing it again for a men’s basketball game and a women’s basketball game this season.
- How UAB is Planning for Football During the Pandemic - March 31, 2020
- The Inside Story of an Unlikely Bowl Sponsor - March 24, 2020
- Social Media Strategy During the COVID-19 Pandemic - March 18, 2020
- Golic and Wingo: The Economic Impact of Coronavirus on Sports - March 13, 2020
- Bonus: Local Impact of NCAA Basketball Tournament Changes - March 12, 2020
- Nebraska First To Launch Program To Help Student Athletes Maximize The Value Of Their Individual Brands - March 11, 2020
- BCS Facilities Roundup – Feb 2020 - March 11, 2020
- Creating Halls of Fame for Collegiate Programs - March 10, 2020
- Scott Stricklin’s Approach To Prioritizing Athletic Facilities Projects At Florida - March 5, 2020
- Mountain West Trading Las Vegas Bowl for LA Bowl at SoFi Stadium - March 5, 2020