You never know who you’re going to get matched with on Tinder…but you probably weren’t expecting Oregon’s mascot.
I’m a couple of weeks late on this, but I loved it too much to let it pass without comment.
The winner got a date with the mascot at a women’s volleyball game, which included courtside tickets for her and three of her friends.
Oregon’s assistant director of athletics communications Joe Waltasti said he thought it would take some time to catch on once he created the Tinder account, but instead the Duck had his first response within just a couple of minutes. In fact, the first dozen or so women the Duck swiped right to communicate with swiped right in return and opened dialogue with the Duck.
Waltasti says several of the female students sent clever one-liners. The winner said something along the lines of, “You’ve been waddling through my mind all day.” She and three of her friends sat courtside at a volleyball game and were greeted by the Duck, who came bearing a rose for the winner.
One outlet chastised Oregon for resorting to “cheesy” marketing. But guess what? That outlet is in AUSTRALIA. In my book, if you’ve got an Australian outlet writing about anything related to your college football program, it was a success.
Waltasti agrees the promotion was a success, and Oregon will be doing it again for a men’s basketball game and a women’s basketball game this season.
- BCS Facilities Roundup – Nov 2019 - November 6, 2019
- College Athletics Facilities Roundup Returns - November 1, 2019
- Can Louisville Recoup Naming Rights Settlement With A New Deal? - November 1, 2019
- Florida-Georgia Game Staying In Jacksonville Until At Least 2023 - October 25, 2019
- Natural Light Seltzer Debuts College Football Ad Spots - October 19, 2019
- Is The Fair Pay To Play Act More Moral Victory Than Jackpot For Student Athletes? - October 14, 2019
- The Sports World Begins To React To California’s Fair Pay To Play Act - October 6, 2019
- Hard Seltzer Moves Into College Sports Sponsorship Market - October 1, 2019
- Buffalo Wild Wings Launches Football Prenup For Fans - September 2, 2019
- Sneak Peek At Dr Pepper’s New ‘Fansville’ College Football Ad Campaign - August 19, 2019