Boston College and Notre Dame meet this weekend at Fenway Park. Two programs steeped in history and tradition playing in one of the most historically-significant sports venues still standing, both with a rich Catholic tradition.
To add to the sense of nostalgia and history, BC will be wearing throwback uniforms inspired by the “Miracle in Miami.” And no ordinary uniform reveal would do. Under Armour and BC had someone very special unveil the uniforms: Doug Flutie, architect of the “Miracle in Miami.” BC was playing Miami in the Orange Bowl on November 23, 1984 when Doug Flutie threw a last-second touchdown pass to Gerard Phelan to give the No. 10 Eagles a 47-45 win over 12th-ranked Miami.
The uniforms feature:
- Solid gold helmet
- Vintage BC logo placed on the shoulder to mimic the placement of the Cotton Bowl logo as worn during the 1985 Cotton Bowl victory
- The gold of the pants, helmet and jersey details reflective of the gold uniform color worn in the 1980’s
- Stripe detail on the pants and baselayer are exact replicas of the stripes on the jersey and pants of the 1984-85 team
The “Holy War,” as its been dubbed, has been played 22 times with Notre Dame leading the series 13-9. The two first met in 1975 not too far from this year’s venue at Foxboro Stadium.
BC and Notre Dame are the only two remaining Catholic institutions playing at the FBS level.
- BCS Facilities Roundup – Nov 2019 - November 6, 2019
- College Athletics Facilities Roundup Returns - November 1, 2019
- Can Louisville Recoup Naming Rights Settlement With A New Deal? - November 1, 2019
- Florida-Georgia Game Staying In Jacksonville Until At Least 2023 - October 25, 2019
- Natural Light Seltzer Debuts College Football Ad Spots - October 19, 2019
- Is The Fair Pay To Play Act More Moral Victory Than Jackpot For Student Athletes? - October 14, 2019
- The Sports World Begins To React To California’s Fair Pay To Play Act - October 6, 2019
- Hard Seltzer Moves Into College Sports Sponsorship Market - October 1, 2019
- Buffalo Wild Wings Launches Football Prenup For Fans - September 2, 2019
- Sneak Peek At Dr Pepper’s New ‘Fansville’ College Football Ad Campaign - August 19, 2019