This week, I’m joined by my friend Alan Verlander, CEO of Airstream Ventures, a sports and entertainment event management company. For the past 25 years, Alan has worked in and around college athletics from nearly every angle.
Alan was the Director of Athletics at Jacksonville University from 2005-2012, then served as the Executive Director of Sports and Entertainment for the City of Jacksonville, and the Chief Executive Officer of the Jacksonville Sports Council, before going out on his own to found Airstream Ventures. Alan has led and worked some of the nation’s largest events including four NCAA Basketball Tournaments, Davis Cup Tennis, Navy vs. Notre Dame Football game, Gator Bowl, Spartan Races, Florida vs. Georgia Football Game, and US Men’s and Women’s National Team Soccer matches.
We talked about the differences between working in an athletic department vs. with the City, his leadership style and his advice for young administrators looking to bring new and innovative ideas to the world of college athletics. We also chatted about attracting sporting events to new cities and money that’s often left on the table when dealing with sponsors.
If you work in or around college athletics, this is going to be an episode you’ll enjoy!
You can listen below or click the Subscribe button at the end of this post to be taken to your favorite podcast app to listen.
Click here to subscribe and listen on your favorite podcast platform >>
- How UAB is Planning for Football During the Pandemic - March 31, 2020
- The Inside Story of an Unlikely Bowl Sponsor - March 24, 2020
- Social Media Strategy During the COVID-19 Pandemic - March 18, 2020
- Golic and Wingo: The Economic Impact of Coronavirus on Sports - March 13, 2020
- Bonus: Local Impact of NCAA Basketball Tournament Changes - March 12, 2020
- Nebraska First To Launch Program To Help Student Athletes Maximize The Value Of Their Individual Brands - March 11, 2020
- BCS Facilities Roundup – Feb 2020 - March 11, 2020
- Creating Halls of Fame for Collegiate Programs - March 10, 2020
- Scott Stricklin’s Approach To Prioritizing Athletic Facilities Projects At Florida - March 5, 2020
- Mountain West Trading Las Vegas Bowl for LA Bowl at SoFi Stadium - March 5, 2020