The Athletics Construction Roundup is a monthly series on construction of athletics facilities. Each month I’ll provide you with a list of athletic construction projects in progress (and recently completed) across the country, including details on budget and scope of the project.
University of Maine
A prominent alumni couple, whose name is already the football field, has donated $800,000 for a new videoboard at Morse Field in the Alfond Sports Stadium. The board is expected to be ready for the first game of next season.
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati has released new renderings of the previously announced renovation and expansion of Nippert Stadium.
University of Miami
The 34,000 square foot Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence has been officially dedicated after opening phases. The facility also includes a new football locker room and player lounge.
According to Scott Cowen, the university’s president, Yulman Stadium probably will not be ready in time for the start of the 2014 season. The football stadium’s progress could be delayed due to weather.
Texas A&M University
In an innovative fundraising effort, A&M will sell the grass from the playing surface at Kyle Field. Each piece of grass will come with a care guide.
Auburn Athletic Director Jay Jacobs provides updates on a number of previously announced projects in this open letter.
Louisiana Tech University
As a part of a series of athletic construction projects, Louisiana Tech has announced an $18 million football complex at the south endzone of Joe Aillet Stadium. The facility will include a weight room, team meeting areas, and expanded stadium seating.
Louisiana Tech has also completed a $1.2 million project that includes a videoboard, sound system, and control room at the Thomas Assembly Center.
University of South Dakota
Due to concerns over cost and environmental issues, the design plans for a new arena have changed dramatically. Although previous plans had the arena floor underground, it will now be at ground level.
University of Richmond
Richmond opened the newly renovated Robins Center to the media for a preview. Among several features, the project included videoboards, hospitality areas, and refurbished seating.
University of Arkansas
After last month’s flooding, Bud Walton Arena was repaired and is game ready. The basketball teams missed two practices as a result of the damage.
University of Michigan
The Michigan Athletic Department could be headed for a legal battle with city officials over an electronic billboard outside of Michigan Stadium. The Ann Arbor City Council believes that the marquee is distracting to drivers.
Clemson has announced a major renovation to Littlejohn Coliseum. Details on that project, and several others that are currently ongoing, can be found here.
After player protests led to a cancelled football game, Grambling has announced that the weight room will undergo a $32,000 upgrade.
Mississippi State University
The administration and baseball staff at Mississippi State has asked fans for ideas about a possible renovation to Dudy Noble Field. Head Coach John Cohen has asked that the upgrade create the illusion that stands are full when a strong, but not capacity crowd, is in attendance.
Pennsylvania State University
Penn State’s Pegula Ice Arena has opened. The $90 million arena will be the home to the men’s and women’s hockey programs.
- Op-Ed: The Hidden Attack on Gender Equity in College Athletics - September 10, 2020
- The Jordan Effect: The Blueprint to Michigan’s Lucrative Apparel Deal with Nike - August 4, 2016
- An Argument for Allowing Student Athletes to Profit from Endorsements - August 17, 2015
- FBS College Football Home-and-Home Series Schedule - October 23, 2014
- June Athletics Construction Roundup - June 10, 2014
- April Athletic Construction Roundup - April 4, 2014
- College Athletes Can Form A Union: What’s Next? - March 26, 2014
- January Athletic Construction Roundup - January 22, 2014
- Should Kansas Jump on the Luxury Suite Bandwagon? - December 20, 2013
- November Athletics Construction Roundup - November 19, 2013
- College Football Coaching Salaries: SEC
- Name, Image and Likeness for Community College Student Athletes
- What a Federal NIL Bill Could Mean for NCAA Athletes as Social Media Influencers
- NAIA Becomes First In College Sports To Pass Name, Image And Likeness Legislation
- College Football Coaching Salaries: Pac-12