This week I’m joined by James Coleman, a former student athlete at FSU who is currently the co-host of 1010XL’s “The Sports Den” and a strength and conditioning coach. James joined me to discuss how black student athletes have begun using their voices to demand change – from calling out racist behavior by coaches to demanding fight songs, chants and building names be changed.
James talked about his own experience as a black student athlete and why he thinks right now is the perfect storm of circumstances to finally allow black student athletes to have a voice and demand change. He shares advice for student athletes, administrators and coaches on current events and necessary change.
James played fullback at Florida State University where he was a three-year starter and a member of threeAtlantic Coast Conference Championships between the years of 2002–2005. James was the go-to short yardage back and scored 10 career touchdowns while playing in 46 career games at FSU. He used his skills to realize his dream of playing in the NFL while playing with the New Orleans Saints for one season.
James received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Science in only three years. James used sports performance training during his high school and college years before coming into the field after his playing career was finished.
- ACC And SEC Big Winners In 2020-21 College Football Playoff Payouts - December 21, 2020
- Student Athlete Mental Health and Creating a Safe and Supportive Culture - December 8, 2020
- Proposed Changes to NCAA Name, Image and Likeness Regulations for Division I - December 3, 2020
- Brand Deals for Student Athletes in the NIL Era - December 1, 2020
- NCAA Group Licensing in the NIL Era - November 4, 2020
- Name, Image and Likeness for Community College Student Athletes - October 20, 2020
- NAIA Becomes First In College Sports To Pass Name, Image And Likeness Legislation - October 20, 2020
- Advancing Blacks in Sports - September 29, 2020
- Bipartisan House Bill Introduced on Name, Image and Likeness Rights - September 24, 2020
- How SEC Teams Handled Ticketing And Seating For The 2020 Football Season - September 24, 2020
- ACC And SEC Big Winners In 2020-21 College Football Playoff Payouts
- Student Athlete Mental Health and Creating a Safe and Supportive Culture
- Proposed Changes to NCAA Name, Image and Likeness Regulations for Division I
- Brand Deals for Student Athletes in the NIL Era
- NCAA Group Licensing in the NIL Era