What can the history of college football tell us about the sport’s ability to weather a pandemic? Jeremy Swick, the historian and curator of the Chick-fil-A College Football Hall of Fame, joins me this week to chat about the 1918 Spanish Flu and how both it and World War I impacted college football.
What was it like with some teams playing and others not? What was college football like when it was all over? Jeremy walks me through all his knowledge on the subject and we talk about what this fall might–or might not–look like and how it might impact the long-term health of college football.
Jeremy is tasked with maintaining the Chick-fil-A College Football Hall of Fame’s extensive collection of artifacts, books, photographs, artwork and publications as the Historian and Curator Coordinator. He was instrumental in establishing, and now updating databases for various educational and historical artifacts and props. In addition, Jeremy curates all new exhibits at the Hall, including exhibits for marquee matchups, the rotating specialty exhibits and Black History Month.
You can listen below or click the Subscribe button at the end of this post to be taken to your favorite podcast app to listen.
Click here to subscribe and listen on your favorite podcast platform >>
Listen to more episodes of the Business of College Sports podcast here
- ACC And SEC Big Winners In 2020-21 College Football Playoff Payouts - December 21, 2020
- Student Athlete Mental Health and Creating a Safe and Supportive Culture - December 8, 2020
- Proposed Changes to NCAA Name, Image and Likeness Regulations for Division I - December 3, 2020
- Brand Deals for Student Athletes in the NIL Era - December 1, 2020
- NCAA Group Licensing in the NIL Era - November 4, 2020
- Name, Image and Likeness for Community College Student Athletes - October 20, 2020
- NAIA Becomes First In College Sports To Pass Name, Image And Likeness Legislation - October 20, 2020
- Advancing Blacks in Sports - September 29, 2020
- Bipartisan House Bill Introduced on Name, Image and Likeness Rights - September 24, 2020
- How SEC Teams Handled Ticketing And Seating For The 2020 Football Season - September 24, 2020
- ACC And SEC Big Winners In 2020-21 College Football Playoff Payouts
- Student Athlete Mental Health and Creating a Safe and Supportive Culture
- Proposed Changes to NCAA Name, Image and Likeness Regulations for Division I
- Brand Deals for Student Athletes in the NIL Era
- NCAA Group Licensing in the NIL Era