What can the history of college football tell us about the sport’s ability to weather a pandemic? Jeremy Swick, the historian and curator of the Chick-fil-A College Football Hall of Fame, joins me this week to chat about the 1918 Spanish Flu and how both it and World War I impacted college football.
What was it like with some teams playing and others not? What was college football like when it was all over? Jeremy walks me through all his knowledge on the subject and we talk about what this fall might–or might not–look like and how it might impact the long-term health of college football.
Jeremy is tasked with maintaining the Chick-fil-A College Football Hall of Fame’s extensive collection of artifacts, books, photographs, artwork and publications as the Historian and Curator Coordinator. He was instrumental in establishing, and now updating databases for various educational and historical artifacts and props. In addition, Jeremy curates all new exhibits at the Hall, including exhibits for marquee matchups, the rotating specialty exhibits and Black History Month.
You can listen below or click the Subscribe button at the end of this post to be taken to your favorite podcast app to listen.
Click here to subscribe and listen on your favorite podcast platform >>
Listen to more episodes of the Business of College Sports podcast here
- Tennessee Governor Signs Name, Image and Likeness Law - May 12, 2021
- St. Thomas Becomes Latest to Cut Tennis Programs - May 11, 2021
- Behind the Scenes of Rolling Back Season Ticket Prices - May 11, 2021
- South Carolina and Georgia NIL Laws Bring State Law Total to 13 - May 8, 2021
- Fresno State Women’s Lacrosse Gets Partial Win in Court After Sport Cut - April 29, 2021
- Arkansas Becomes 11th State to Sign Name, Image and Likeness Legislation Into Law - April 21, 2021
- 2021 March Madness Payouts from Men’s Basketball Tournament Impacted by 2020 - March 27, 2021
- Seattle Kraken Raising Money to Save Men’s College Hockey at Alaska Anchorage - March 1, 2021
- NIL and College Football: Coaches Have Some NIL Concerns - February 24, 2021
- Iowa Women’s Swimming and Diving Is Reinstated - February 15, 2021