It’s been seven months since Tim Russell, CEO of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, joined the podcast to talk about why college tennis was being cut more than any other sport during the pandemic. It was my most-listened to episode of 2020, so I asked Tim if we could revisit the subject now that we’ve seen several more tennis programs eliminated.
The ITA is the governing body of college tennis, overseeing men’s and women’s varsity tennis at all levels — NCAA Divisions I, II and III, NAIA and Junior/Community College. In addition to providing resources to its members to help support programs, the ITA also put together opportunities while competition was halted in collegiate tennis.
Listen in to hear more about why tennis may be taking the brunt of the cuts, Tim’s opposing argument and also great advice for coaches in any sport to be more proactive in demonstrating value to their administrations.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Health Index (a useful tool for coaches in any sport)
- Tim’s response to AthleticDirectorU the role of Olympic sports on college campuses
You can listen below or click the Subscribe button at the end of this post to be taken to your favorite podcast app to listen.
Click here to subscribe and listen on your favorite podcast platform >>
Listen to more episodes of the Business of College Sports podcast here
- How Artificial Intelligence Can Help Student Athletes Monetize Their NIL - June 10, 2021
- ‘Reverse Sponsorship’ Sees Baylor University Buy Naming Rights At Topgolf Waco - June 7, 2021
- Is There A Title IX Issue With Notre Dame’s Football Recruiting Billboards? - June 7, 2021
- The NAIA’s Experience with NIL - June 3, 2021
- Student Athletes as Social Media Influencers: The Issues They’ll Face - June 2, 2021
- Oklahoma Becomes 18th State with an NIL Law - June 2, 2021
- Nevada Becomes 17th State with an NIL Law - May 31, 2021
- An Update on NCAA, State and Federal NIL Legislation - May 27, 2021
- Dos Equis Expands College Sports Portfolio With Big Noon Kickoff Sponsorship On FOX Sports - May 19, 2021
- Stanford Joins 8 Other Division I Programs In Reversing Sports Cut - May 19, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence Can Help Student Athletes Monetize Their NIL
- ‘Reverse Sponsorship’ Sees Baylor University Buy Naming Rights At Topgolf Waco
- Is There A Title IX Issue With Notre Dame’s Football Recruiting Billboards?
- The NAIA’s Experience with NIL
- Student Athletes as Social Media Influencers: The Issues They’ll Face