Last Updated on February 3, 2023
This episode I’m joined by industry veteran Steve Hank, currently an Executive Vice President at Affinaquest, to talk about how athletic departments can leverage the data they already have to increase fan engagement and revenue for the department.
- The main revenue struggles he sees over and over again in college athletics
- How pro teams have done a better job creating a personal connection with fans
- Overcoming silos in athletics and higher education
- How to collaborate better with the university
- The opportunities and challenges conference realignment brings for engaging with fans
- Engaging fans who might consider staying home or out at the tailgate instead of going to the game
- Leveraging data to give fans a better experience while also making more money
- How NIL might play a role in the future of fan engagement
Hank also shared about his career journey in college athletics. In his current position, Hank oversees the collegiate athletics market at Affinaquest and strategies for clients with a focus on business intelligence, fan engagement, revenue outcomes.
Prior to joining Affinaquest, Hank worked as the Chief Revenue Officer at the University of Texas at Austin where he led the sales, marketing, and revenue operations of the nation’s largest collegiate athletic department.
Prior to Texas, Hank was with at Arizona State University for twelve years, where he led the revenue generating areas of Sun Devil Athletics, including marketing, ticket sales and operations, branding, licensing, contract negotiation, and sponsorship relations. He also led the rebranding of Sun Devil Athletics culminating with the launch of the Pitchfork logo in April 2012.
You can listen below or click the Subscribe button at the end of this post to be taken to your favorite podcast app to listen. We’re also now a video podcast! You can find that version below the podcast and subscribe to our new YouTube channel.
Click here to subscribe and listen on your favorite podcast platform >>
We’re also now sharing the video version of the podcast on YouTube. Subscribe and watch here.
Listen to more episodes of the Business of College Sports podcast here.
- Michigan Announces Co-Branding NIL Initiative With LEARFIELD Allied
- New Developments in NIL for International Student Athletes
- Group Licensing Opportunities for Collectives
- Laney Higgins Gives Back For National Girls & Women in Sports Day Through NIL.Store Deal
- Express Expands Collegiate Athlete Style Ambassador Program Nationwide