Last Updated on March 17, 2023
In this episode, I’m joined by Ksenia Maiorova and Amy Maldonado. Ksenia and Amy are very accomplished immigration attorneys who work with international athletes seeking to take advantage of NIL. They’ve been able to secure O-1 visas for several athletes and are sharing with us both their successes and the challenges.
Topics we covered include:
- The limitations on a student visa and how it complicates an international student’s NIL possibilities
- The types of visas that are available to international student athletes beyond student visas, including O-1 Visas
- When a student athlete might consider pursuing an O-1 visa
- Why some sports are easier than others for getting other types of visas
- Potential passive income opportunities for international student athletes
- Completing NIL activities out of the country
- The potential consequences of failing to adhere to visa requirements/guidelines
Ksenia Maiorova can be reached on Instagram at @sportsvisalawyer.
Amy Maldonado can be reached on her website at amaldonadolaw.com.
Recap of the Podcast
Check out a recap of the podcast that breaks down what international athletes likely can and cannot do with NIL at this point.