Women’s and men’s swimming and diving, women’s and men’s golf and men’s lightweight rowing are all immediately reinstated after Dartmouth learned some of the data it used to confirm Title IX compliance may not have been complete.
Members of the women’s golf and women’s swimming and diving teams had threated legal action, which resulted in a settlement and the issuance of a joint statement on the reinstatement of the teams. Dartmouth will now commence a new gender-equity review to ensure compliance.
College President Philip J. Hanlon said in an email to the Dartmouth community:
“We know that many in our community have been disappointed by the decisions we have made within Athletics and across the institution. The news that the data used to confirm Title IX compliance in connection with the team eliminations may not have been complete only adds to that disappointment.”
“We sincerely apologize that this process has been, and continues to be, so painful to our current and former student-athletes and all who support them,” he said. “Through the actions above, we will make sure that any future decisions will be based on accurate data. Our sincere hope is that these reviews and team reinstatements will create an opportunity for us to come together as a community as we navigate the challenging times ahead.”
Coaches who were let go when the sports were cut will be offered the first right of refusal to return to their positions. If they decline, Dartmouth will begin the search for new coaches immediately.
We are tracking cut sports in Division I here.
- NIL and College Football: Coaches Have Some NIL Concerns - February 24, 2021
- Iowa Women’s Swimming and Diving Is Reinstated - February 15, 2021
- Iowa Swimming and Diving Student Athletes Continue Pursuing Title IX Lawsuit - January 30, 2021
- Dartmouth Reinstates All Five Cut Sports - January 30, 2021
- Revisiting Why College Tennis Programs Are Being Eliminated - January 25, 2021
- ACC And SEC Big Winners In 2020-21 College Football Playoff Payouts - December 21, 2020
- Student Athlete Mental Health and Creating a Safe and Supportive Culture - December 8, 2020
- Proposed Changes to NCAA Name, Image and Likeness Regulations for Division I - December 3, 2020
- Brand Deals for Student Athletes in the NIL Era - December 1, 2020
- NCAA Group Licensing in the NIL Era - November 4, 2020