Last Updated on December 3, 2019 by Kristi Dosh
Are you fascinated by the business of college sports? Do you love pouring over contracts, financial statements and Excel spreadsheets to uncover interesting facts and figures? Are you a total data nerd?
Then you’re the kind of person we want to add to our growing team here at Business of College Sports! BCS was founded by sports business journalist Kristi Dosh, who has written for such outlets as Forbes, ESPN, SportsBusiness Journal, Bleacher Report, SB Nation and more. Currently, BusinessofCollegeSports.com is one of the highest-ranking websites for many popular search terms surrounding the business of college football. However, the site has been retired for several years and is currently in the process of being redesigned and relaunched.
Our focus is on data-driven reporting, meaning we have mounds of contracts, financial statements and other documents we collect and study that relate to the business of college sports. We produce original content on BusinessofCollegeSports.com and in associated newsletters, and additionally we sometimes have the opportunity to work on consulting projects with college athletic departments.
The position we’re hiring for is an internship for approximately 10 hours/week. We would prefer a student seeking academic credit. We will provide on-the-job training for any duties that are not listed below as required skills. You will also be given the opportunity to write for BusinessofCollegeSports.com if you’re interested in building a writing portfolio.
We are a small team with deep experience in journalism and publishing. Our entire team works remotely, so we’re looking for a self-starter who is organized and great at managing their own time.
Job Duties Will Include:
- Making public records requests
- Researching online to find relevant data and documents
- Entering data and other information into spreadsheets
- Updating databases
- Reviewing spreadsheets and databases for specific data or trends
- Monitoring the news for stories that are relevant to our current projects or newsletters
- Current college student or recent graduate
- Proficient with Excel/Google Sheets
- Working knowledge of the business of college athletics, including a basic understanding of the NCAA’s role in college athletics and the structure of the division.
- A passion for college athletics and the hot button issues facing the industry today.
- You’re a data nerd who loves looking at numbers and finding trends, but you’re also a good researcher who can look beyond the numbers and search for explanations or clarifications that might impact the situation beyond what we can see in the numbers.
- Proactive spirit with ability to manage workload remotely
- North Carolina Brands Back HBCU Female Athletes With NIL Deal
- UCLA Quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson Partners With Crash Bandicoot
- NBCUniversal’s Streaming Platform Peacock Initiates The First NIL Live Sporting Event
- NIL Education Program Pushes Student-Athletes to Become Better Storytellers
- Marshall Tight End Devin Miller Lands Dream NIL Opportunity in Deal With Dr. Squatch