Last Updated on February 3, 2023
This episode I’m joined by Jim Carr, the President and CEO of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA). As I mention in the opening, we originally recorded this informally as an interview for a Forbes piece I was writing. However, we had such a great chat I decided to ask Jim if we could turn it into a podcast episode, and he graciously agreed.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How the NAIA has relaxed its rules around NIL over the past five years
- Why the NAIA was able to pass NIL legislation more quickly than the NCAA
- The NAIA’s stance on student athletes wearing school gear in NIL-related activities
- How the NAIA is approaching compliance
- Plans for educating student athletes on NIL
- What the marketplace looks like for NAIA student athletes
You can review the basics of the NAIA’s rule change here.
In this episode, we talked briefly about NAIA student athlete Chloe Mitchell and the company she co-founded, Playbooked. You can check out my interview with Mitchell and learn more about the opportunities student athletes are getting through her platform in my piece on Forbes.
You can listen below or click the Subscribe button at the end of this post to be taken to your favorite podcast app to listen.
Click here to subscribe and listen on your favorite podcast platform >>
Listen to more episodes of the Business of College Sports podcast here.