Boston College and Notre Dame meet this weekend at Fenway Park. Two programs steeped in history and tradition playing in one of the most historically-significant sports venues still standing, both with a rich Catholic tradition.
To add to the sense of nostalgia and history, BC will be wearing throwback uniforms inspired by the “Miracle in Miami.” And no ordinary uniform reveal would do. Under Armour and BC had someone very special unveil the uniforms: Doug Flutie, architect of the “Miracle in Miami.” BC was playing Miami in the Orange Bowl on November 23, 1984 when Doug Flutie threw a last-second touchdown pass to Gerard Phelan to give the No. 10 Eagles a 47-45 win over 12th-ranked Miami.
The uniforms feature:
- Solid gold helmet
- Vintage BC logo placed on the shoulder to mimic the placement of the Cotton Bowl logo as worn during the 1985 Cotton Bowl victory
- The gold of the pants, helmet and jersey details reflective of the gold uniform color worn in the 1980’s
- Stripe detail on the pants and baselayer are exact replicas of the stripes on the jersey and pants of the 1984-85 team
The “Holy War,” as its been dubbed, has been played 22 times with Notre Dame leading the series 13-9. The two first met in 1975 not too far from this year’s venue at Foxboro Stadium.
BC and Notre Dame are the only two remaining Catholic institutions playing at the FBS level.
- Nineteen States Now Have Name, Image and Likeness Laws - June 15, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence Can Help Student Athletes Monetize Their NIL - June 10, 2021
- ‘Reverse Sponsorship’ Sees Baylor University Buy Naming Rights At Topgolf Waco - June 7, 2021
- Is There A Title IX Issue With Notre Dame’s Football Recruiting Billboards? - June 7, 2021
- The NAIA’s Experience with NIL - June 3, 2021
- Student Athletes as Social Media Influencers: The Issues They’ll Face - June 2, 2021
- Oklahoma Becomes 18th State with an NIL Law - June 2, 2021
- Nevada Becomes 17th State with an NIL Law - May 31, 2021
- An Update on NCAA, State and Federal NIL Legislation - May 27, 2021
- Dos Equis Expands College Sports Portfolio With Big Noon Kickoff Sponsorship On FOX Sports - May 19, 2021
- Nineteen States Now Have Name, Image and Likeness Laws
- How Artificial Intelligence Can Help Student Athletes Monetize Their NIL
- ‘Reverse Sponsorship’ Sees Baylor University Buy Naming Rights At Topgolf Waco
- Is There A Title IX Issue With Notre Dame’s Football Recruiting Billboards?
- The NAIA’s Experience with NIL