Last Updated on January 3, 2022
This week on my new Game Face podcast with Linktree, I’m joined by Dr. Karen Weaver. As a college athlete, she was an All-American and one of the first women ever to earn an athletics scholarship under Title IX. She was part of the United States National Training Squad in Field Hockey that qualified, but did not compete, in the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games.
After her athletic career, Dr. Weaver spent time in athletics administration in both Division I and Division III. An expert in college athletics including NIL ins/outs and how they intersect with higher education management, media, and policy, Dr. Karen Weaver brings wisdom and perspective from a wide ranging 3-decade career, as a Forbes.com contributor and with the podcast “Trustees and Presidents.”
She brings meaningful intel on why NIL opportunities exist at every level, and why knowing NIL rules and school policies and codes, and understanding your own brand, are all crucial to your success.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How the student athlete experience has changed with NIL legislation going into effect
- What a personal brand is and whether you need one
- Her advice for navigating NIL as a recruit
- Questions to ask brands before you work with them
- Balancing school and athletics
- Whether you should talk about politics and controversial issues on social media
- and so much more!
You can listen below or on your favorite podcast platform.
Missed our other episodes? Check them out here and share with student athletes you know who want to build their brands and grow their platforms!
- MarketPryce Joins Forces With Seven University of Arizona Women’s Teams
- 19 Indiana Student-Athletes Join Hoosiers For Good, Announce Charity Partners
- The Massachusettes Collective Supports Animal Welfare Through NIL Deal
- The Growth of Group Licensing in NIL
- High-Speed Internet Company Partners With Oklahoma State Softball