Last Updated on February 3, 2023
In this episode, I’m joined by David Kaplan of The Hockey Guys, a group of 10 NCAA hockey players who got their start on TikTok. The Hockey Guys have grown their reach to over 1.4 million followers and subscribers across multiple social media platforms.
I recently had David, along with two other members of The Hockey Guys, on my Game Face podcast, and we touched on a few things that warranted a deeper dive. In this episode we touch on:
- How they plan and create content as a group
- How their venture has evolved from a social media account into a thriving business
- The hands-on entrepreneurial experience the group is getting
- How they’ve tackled things like pricing and other negotiations
- The challenge of having international student athletes in the group and the solution they’ve found
- The opportunities for DIII student athletes
- How they found the right advisors and resources
- The reaction from their coaches, administrators and teammates
- What happens to The Hockey Guys after graduation
- …and so much more!
David serves as the CFO and Head of Consulting for THG Media, Inc. Since NIL legislation was passed, and with a background in Accounting and Finance, the majority of his work has happened behind the camera. David has been an integral part in corporate structuring as well as maximizing the revenue potential for The Hockey Guys. He plans on pursuing his CPA and was a former intern at a Big 4 Accounting Firm with an offer to rejoin the firm upon graduation.
You can follow The Hockey Guys on Instagram, TikTok and YouTube, and check out their podcast, No Bad Days.
You can listen below or click the Subscribe button at the end of this post to be taken to your favorite podcast app to listen.
Click here to subscribe and listen on your favorite podcast platform >>
Listen to more episodes of the Business of College Sports podcast here.
Transcript coming soon!
- Colorado Football Sells More Than 30,000 Tickets For Its 2023 Spring Game
- How Can International Athletes Get NIL Deals? Here’s How to Do It Safely
- Degree Partners With Giannis Antetokounmpo for Walk-On NIL Deals
- Automating NIL Operations for Collectives and Universities
- NIL Educational Seminar Unveiled for #NACDA23